The History of Alpha Chi Omega, Theta Corporation
 
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan  

Alpha Chi Omega - Theta Chapter housing through time.

From the current day back to the time that Alpha Chi Omega Theta Chapter received its official charter in 1898, various pledge classes have lived in four different chapter houses.


1212 Hill Street (current) -- This beautifully restored English Tudor-style house was built in 1911. Following a downturn in membership, Theta chapter alumnae purchased the house in 1974 in a bold move to re-activate the chapter. AXO has been strong ever since. With 16 bedrooms and multiple study suites, it currently houses 51 collegians.




1735 Washtenaw Avenue -- Theta Corporation owned and operated this house from 1961 to 1972. Its contemporary design housed up to 71 Alpha Chis until the chapter was forced to move to inactive status during an era of politically charged “anti-Greek” sentiment. With membership dropping to fewer than 20 actives, Alpha Chi was forced to sell in 1972.




1004 Olivia Street -- From the 1920’s to 1961, Theta Corporation owned and operated the first sorority house built for that purpose at the University of Michigan. This lovely Georgian/Colonial Revival was home to 39 women during an era of tremendous Greek popularity and growth. As the Olivia Street neighborhood developed, so did AXO as a social and philanthropic organization. AXO continued to thrive and membership outgrew this house. 
Photo Source: UM Bentley Historical Library; Bennie Oosterbaan Collection, 1920; (scrapbook of Delmas Oosterbaan, AXO)



North Ingalls Street -- When Theta Chapter of Alpha Chi Omega received its official charter on November 19, 1898, 7 women were initiated into the first AXO sorority commissioned at a state university. These women and future AXOs did not live together in one house until after 1910. As a strategy to create appropriate housing for female students, 10 national chapters moved forward to lease property and housing for their members, and North Ingalls was the first house for AXO at the University of Michigan.